For over 20 years, Horizons at Colorado Academy has been a transformative, direct community impact program for underserved youth in and around Denver. For six weeks during the summer and select year-round programming, Horizons serves more than 150 Pre-K to High School students, providing them with the tools needed for a future filled with meaning and hope. Committed to the development of the whole child, Horizons offers experiences that enhance self-esteem, foster responsibility, build problem-solving skills, and encourage a lifelong interest in learning. The program consists of academic instruction, STEAM training, social and emotional learning, outdoor education, and a range of health and wellness activities, including swimming, yoga, and nutrition. Two nutritious meals and transportation are also provided.
Addressing the issue of “summer slide,” Horizons students are engaged in building valuable skills, cultivating long-lasting relationships, and are better prepared for the following school year. With optimal student-to-teacher ratios, students are given ample individual attention and are offered opportunities that they might otherwise not have. And it works:
- Horizons students gain an average of 2-4 months of academic skills during the six-week program.
- In 2019, nearly 40 percent of Horizons faculty, staff, and volunteers were Horizons at CA alumni.
- Nationally, 99 percent of Horizons students graduate from high school, and 91 percent continue their post-secondary education.
- Students in the CA program have matriculated at the University of Denver, University of Northern Colorado, Colorado State University, Metro State University, Regis University, Red Rocks Community College, as well as MIT and Harvard.
- Horizons graduates enjoy a variety of careers—from civil engineers and nurses, to teachers and entrepreneurs.
AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE CA COMMUNITY
Horizons at CA is an integral part of the Colorado Academy community of parents, students, and faculty. CA Upper School students are a vital part of the program, working as volunteers and interns; CA parents provide their expertise and talents, from fundraising to community connections. CA generously provides significant in-kind support with office space, financial planning, curriculum development, office support, and more. Overall, this direct outreach to the greater Denver community makes a long-lasting, positive impact on the community as a whole. GET INVOLVED!
You can support this life-changing program through financial donations
, volunteering, or attending our signature annual fundraiser, Wine & Dine
. Please note that financial contributions to Horizons may qualify for the Colorado Child Care Tax Credit.