Colorado Academy is seeking a Director of its Fine and Performing Arts program who can lead a creative and successful art, music, and theatre faculty to solid educational goals and experiences for CA students. Click here
for student interviews.
Candidates must have proven experience and ability to create an atmosphere of arts education that offers multiple points of engagement. This position requires working well with a wide variety of constituents including students, colleagues, and parents. This is a “Director” position that is a member of the administrative team, participates as part of the Principals’ Group (Division Heads), oversees full, part-time, and contract employees and includes classroom instruction. Click here
for more on the department's innovation.
The Froelicher Theatre stages showcase student talent with musicals, dramatic productions, and a middle school circus each year. A separate music building provides space for the more than 14,000 private music lessons per year as well as ensemble rooms, a dance studio, and a digital music lab. Click here
for video on the music and recital program.
The Director of Fine and Performing Arts at Colorado Academy is a member of the Administrative Team and reports directly to the Head of School.
Acting as a supervisor, faculty member, and strategic planner, the Fine and Performing Arts Director will:
• Represent the school’s mission.
• Ensure a breadth and depth of fine and performing arts experiences for the intellectual and artistic growth of students and the wider institutional community.
• Oversee the scope and sequence of a departmental curriculum that challenges all students to excellence, understanding the various starting points for each student.
• Determine, in consultation with department members, course content and offerings.
• Oversee development and implementation of department goals, assessment standards, and departmental requirements.
• Compose and coordinate a full academic year of performances, shows, and recitals.
• Coordinate the department’s program with other aspects of the school’s program.
• Represent the department’s program on school committees and in scheduling decisions.
• Keep abreast of recent educational research by attending conferences and workshops and reading appropriate literature.
• Serve as a liaison between the school and families on matters concerning ways the program meets students’ needs.
• Oversee hiring, scheduling, assessment, and professional development for fine and performing arts faculty.
• Manage and supervise the department’s budget.
• Oversee school’s assembly program and various special events.
• Provide classroom instruction.
The successful applicant for this position will have:
• Subject matter expertise with at least an MFA or equivalent in related field.
• Successful professional accomplishments teaching at the elementary and/or secondary school levels.
• Good people and organizational skills.
• The ability to inspire as well as work as part of a team of professionals.
The position requires an individual with vision, patience, flexibility, energy, enthusiasm, proven people and managerial skills, a sense of humor, and experience working with students and parents. Experience in an educational institution and an understanding of mission-driven enterprises are helpful. Bachelor's degree required, Master’s Degree and experience with arts education, fine and performing arts in schools preferred.
As is true of all faculty members, the Director of Fine and Performing Arts will be expected to have a genuine understanding and appreciation of all facets of Colorado Academy’s program, and as a result will participate in the daily life of the school.
CA offers an excellent compensation package, wide-ranging opportunities for professional development, and an environment notable for its dedicated teaching professionals and supportive administrators.
Colorado Academy has engaged the national executive search firm, Educational Directions, Incorporated, to assist with the search. Candidates should submit the following documents:
• Cover letter explaining their interest and qualifications for the Director of Fine and Performing Arts position at Colorado Academy
• Current resume
• Names, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers and relationship to the candidate of five confidential references
Electronic submission of materials is required. Candidates should submit all information as soon as possible, in a consolidated pdf format to:
Risa Oganesoff Heersche: email@example.com
Mathew Heersche, Ed.D. firstname.lastname@example.org